Wright held its Modern Design auction last week and sold $2m worth of Charles and Ray Eames, George Nakashima, Paul Evans and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe works with 85% of the lots finding buyers. An untitled sculpture (Cloud) by Harry Bertoia doubled its high estimate by selling for $88,900. A Spacelander bicycle designed by Benjamin Bowden (Lot 259) achieved $35,000, five times its high estimate. Other well-sold designs include:
- Lot 109 – Philip Johnson and Richard Kelly, floor lamp from the Pavilion House, Bristol. Estimate: $10,000-15,000. Result: $42,500
- Lot 147 – Florence Knoll, Executive Office cabinet. Estimate: $3,000-5,000. Result: $17,500.
- Lot 150 – Marianne Richter, Josegin carpet. Estimate: $5,000-7,000. Result: $20,000.
- Lot 151 – Martin Olsen, lounge chair. Estimate: $5,000-7,000. Result: $32,500.
- Lot 254 – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Barcelona chair blueprint. Estimate: $2,000-3,000. Result: $10,000.
- Lot 256 – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Barcelona daybed. Estimate: $3,000-5,000. Result: $27,500.
- Lot 258: James Waring Carpenter, Bullet magazine rack. Estimate: $1,500-2,000. Result: $13,750.
More can be seen at www.wright20.com.